Proper Clothing. Proper Worship.
Topic: UPCC Passage: Colossians 3:12-17
Listen to sermon here.
Proper Clothing (v.12-15)
- Who’s clothes is he talking about? (v.12)
- Every single believer
- What do these clothes look like? (v.12)
- Compassion: A Deep sensitivity to the needs and sorrows of others.
- Kindness: Spirit-initiated softness of heart.
- Humility: I am willing to forgo my own rights for the good of someone else.
- Gentleness: a tender heart towards God and others.
- Patience: Enduring a wrong w/o flying into a rage or throwing a fit.
- How do these clothes function? (v.13)
- “Bear with one another”. Lit.: hold yourself back from others.
- “Forgive one another” (Matt. 18, Heb. 8:12, Ps. 103:10, 12)
- choosing to not hold something against another, and choosing to take the hit
- What is the key piece of clothing? Put on love.
- Love is the belt that keeps the whole thing together
- What is the result of the ensemble? Peace w/in the body:
- Peace is the umpire that should rule body life.
Proper worship (v.16-17)
- Word of Christ- the gospel message announcing what God has done in and through Christ (1:5 1:15-22)
- We ought to teach and admonish one another. (Hebrews 10:24-25)
- When “church” is over, it’s not over
- How was my outfit this week?
- Who can I encourage before I leave today?
- Whatever it is that I am doing at this moment, can I do it in the name of Jesus?