Christ’s Inauguration: The Messiah Revealed
Topic: UPCC Passage: Matthew 3:13-17
1. The Humble Herald (vs. 13-14)
John The Baptist
His Purpose: Preparation
- Isaiah 40:3 "In the wilderness prepare the way of the Lord; make straight
in the desert a highway for our God.”
- Matthew 3:11 “He who is coming after me is mightier than I, whose
sandals I am not worthy to carry. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit
His Message: “Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.” (Matthew 3:2)
2. The Servant King (vs. 15-16)
His Purpose: “Fulfill all righteousness” (vs. 15)
His Message: “From that time Jesus began to preach, saying, ‘Repent, for the
kingdom of heaven is at hand.’” (Matthew 4:17)
3. The Proud Father (vs. 17)
His Purpose: Affirm the significance of this baptism
His Message: “This is my beloved Son, with whom I am well pleased.” (Matthew 3:17)
Questions to Consider
Where do you find yourself in the story of redemption?
- Have you accepted Christ?
- If so, what are you doing now? Who is Jesus to you?
What is your purpose?
What is your message?