It's All about the Heart, Part II
Topic: UPCC Passage: Matthew 5:31-37
Listen to sermon here.
Since we began our journey on Matthew 5 we have been reflecting on the crowd Jesus was speaking to and the purpose behind some of the teachings he gives after sharing the beatitudes. So as a quick overview before we dig into this passage let me hit the highlights.
- Matthew 5:17-20 is a hinge passage.
- Jesus directed his teaching to a nation that had added to God’s laws and were now manipulating others with them.
- The point of each of the topics covered (anger, lust and nod divorce and oaths) is to give God’s purpose for and behind the law.
- The heart is the seat of our decision making.
Christ’s teaching on divorce (vs. 31-32)
- Divorce was not God’s plan (vs. 31)
- Marriage was God’s plan (vs. 32)
Christ’s plan for oaths (vs. 33-37)
- Don’t make oaths thoughtlessly (vs. 33-36)
- Let your Word be enough (vs. 37)
Questions to consider
- Do your actions reflect your heart?
- Would those around you see that you cherish your spouse?
- How do those who know you view your word?