Testing & Transformation
Topic: UPCC Passage: 1 Samuel 24:1-22, 1 Samuel 26:1-25
Passage summary: Saul and David on a collision course
Transformation comes through testing
- Test #1: the Robe (1 Samuel 24:1-4)
Cutting off the robe is symbolic of cutting off the kings authority
- Test #2: the spear (1 Samuel 26:7-12)
Clear conviction for David: “God, your will and your way are better than my will and my way.” - No matter what test we’re facing, this is the right answer
Waiting is hard. David spent 15 years waiting to be anointed king.
- Testing will come at unexpected moments...
- Beware of the “shortcut” option. Sanctification is messy, especially in our culture of quick fixes
- God is present in our testing. (1 Samuel 26:12) David didn’t do it on his own, God was there with him