God's Image Bearers
Topic: UPCC Passage: Genesis 1:26-27, Psalm 25:16, Psalm 143:1-12, Romans 8:22
If anyone ought to stand up and talk about mental illness, it ought to be God’s people.
People have intrinsic value because they have been made in the image of God, and their value has nothing to do with their state of mind in their mental struggle.
Mental health = thinking that is incorrect. We all struggle with it, just to different degrees
Psalm 143: highlights of David’s suffering, dark state of his mind
2nd Hour Notes
What you can do for yourself
WRAP - wellness recovery action plan
Daily maintenance plan
- Sometimes getting through one day is a serious achievement
- Spend time in the word daily
- Prayer, talk to God, praise God
Plan for bad days
- Have someone you can reach out to
- Have someone you're accountable to, have them call you when you need it
Knowing your triggers
- What music, what influences set you off?
What can you do for others?
- Be present rather than give advice
- Build relationship capital
- Avoid armchair psychiatry (labeling vs. learning)
- Let them tell you what has been helpful
- Be mindful of the stages of change
- Accept that change is Their process
- Respond to emotion - not the content
- “Being with” rather than “doing for”
- Don’t define success as an outcome outside your control
- Get some rest
- Provide a graduated response
- Talk about a boundary before you set it
- Contain yourself by offering something